Blueberry-Lemon Cupcakes with Blueberry Frosting
12 frosted cupcakes
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter
- 1/3 cup Born Sweet Zing™ Baking Blend
- 2 large eggs
- 4 ounces (about 1/2 cup) unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, leveled
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free (non-fat) milk
- 1/4 cup blueberries, dried
- 2 tablespoons cranberries, dried
- 1 cup (8 ounces) Neufchatel cheese (reduced-fat cream cheese)
- 2 tablespoons Born Sweet Zing™ Baking Blend
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen, thawed
- purple gel food coloring, optional
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin tins with paper cup liners.
In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, cream butter and Born Sweet Zing™ Baking Blend together.
Add eggs, applesauce, vanilla and lemon zest; beat well.
Sift dry ingredients together and stir into batter, alternating with milk, just until smooth. Add 1/2 of the flour mixture, then all of the milk, then the remaining 1/2 of the flour mixture.
Fold in blueberries and cranberries just until blended. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full with batter and bake about 18 to 20 minutes or until tops spring back lightly when touched and centers are dry.
Cool thoroughly then top with frosting.
In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, whip Neufchatel cheese, Born Sweet Zing™ Baking Blend together. and butter together on high speed until creamy, about 1 minute.
Add blueberries and optional color. Continue to beat on medium speed until blueberries are broken down enough to not clog the piping bag. It will be a soft frosting. Use a fluted tube to pipe frosting over each cooled cupcake. Serve or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Store un-iced cupcakes up to 48 hours at room temperature or freeze until ready to serve.
These cupcakes have less sugar and fat than traditional blueberry muffins and feature the added bonus of a yummy frosting!