Black Bean Slaw with Avocado
6 (3/4 cup) servings
- 1/2 bag (about 3 cups) angel hair finely shredded (coleslaw) cabbage
- 1/2 cup pineapple tidbits, drained of juice
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, freshly minced
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- pinch jalapeño powder (or 1/2 teaspoon finely minced jarred jalapeño)
- 1/8 teaspoon Southwest seasoning (no salt added)
- 1 to 2 packets Born Sweet Zing™ Organic Stevia Sweetener - Zero Calories
- 1 (15 ounce) can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 ounces avocado, diced
- 1 (about 1 tablespoon) scallion, finely minced
Combine cabbage with pineapple in large mixing bowl.
In separate smaller bowl, whisk cilantro, mayonnaise, lime juice, sour cream, jalapeño powder, Southwest seasoning and Born Sweet Zing™ Organic Stevia Sweetener together. Stir dressing well into cabbage. Chill coleslaw until ready to serve.
When ready to serve, gently fold beans into slaw. Make sure beans are rinsed and drained well so they won’t “bleed” into the slaw. Combine avocado and scallion together. Serve portions of coleslaw topped with 2 tablespoons of diced avocado mixture.
This recipe has been developed according to the Meal Planning Guidelines established by the American Diabetes Association (ADA). These guidelines are meant to be very general. Please consult with your physician, Registered Dietitian or Certified Diabetes Educator to confirm that this recipe would be appropriate for your own individual menu planning.
Chill drained and rinsed beans so all salad ingredients will be cold when ready to serve.